26.1.08

John O'Connell


I just discovered the artwork of John O'Connell, a local painter who teaches at the U of U. His paintings are huge: usually six feet by seven feet. I love his color schemes, I love the thick textures he builds up, I love his organic shapes and subject matter, I'm just really into his work right now. My wonderful husband took me all over SLC last weekend for my birthday, and we visited several of my favorite art galleries. O'Connell is represented primarily by the A Gallery in Sugarhouse. It was great to see his work. I think it's really funky, but beautiful.

To be honest, I do like this artist and am excited about his work, but the real reason I created this post was to bump down the "Elf Sighting" post!

6 comments:

Jessica F. said...

You are so adorable!

Hema and Becky said...

Cool stuff!

JethRobyn said...

Hey you! This guy is pretty cool. He had some pieces in an art show at the Woodbury Gallery this last fall. It also had some of Gary Barton's, Joe's, and my favorite teacher from UVSC Katherine Downing. Jethro took some of his classes to the show, (I got to help chaperon). I loved his pieces, i could see how they would appeal to you! Happy late birthday :)

JethRobyn said...

Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you, I have a new favorite artist, her name is Cassandra Barney. You should look her up.

clarke fam said...

Josh,
Since it happens so rarely, I can't let the embers of my chords go dry without making mention of the game last night.

I thought of you and was disappointed not to see you trailing behind your buddy, as he pranced in in bedecked in his S.A. bling (too bad he got a date -- it was bound to happen) midway into the 1st quarter.

He held his head high in defeat, but his dad has a nasty bandage on the side of his face -- bummer of shaving mishap.

Brandi said...

I don't really have a clue if that painting is good or not, but I was happy to finally remember my password so I could comment on someones blog! We will see ya soon.