24.4.09

Any Tips?


Lately I've really felt the need to create! I've got some new paintings planned, but I want to develop other creative outlets as well. I think I'm in mother mode. I bought my first glue gun (a mother necessity), but I've been wanting an even bigger toy...a sewing machine. There are so many little sewing projects I've been dying to try! The glue gun was $8.00, easily fitting within the small "Crafts/Hobbies" section of our budget, but I couldn't really justify going out and just buying a sewing machine out of the blue. They usually run a little higher than $8.00. I thought I'd have to wait for Christmas, or my birthday, or til we became wealthy enough to add a much more generous "crafting" column to our monthly budget.


But......then I sold two paintings this week, which brought in enough moolah to buy a sewing machine, or two or three sewing machines. Woot woot! Josh is currently gone on a Scout Camporee, and I haven't told him my big plan, but I'm sure he wouldn't object to me buying one. Especially if I promised to sew him a new outfit, or a cape, or at least a colorful neckerchief for his scout attire. He's always a sucker for neckerchiefs.


Now, to the point of this post:

Any recommendations for good sewing machines? Or nice features to have? Or brands? Anything?





One final note directed only to family members, who are no doubt worried about this purchase:

No, I will not be sewing any more pairs of neon green pajama pants with bright purple swirls. And if, for some reason, I did sew another pair of those pants, I certainly would not wear them outside of the house to play sports, thinking it was cool to ditch the regular black shorts and make a bolder statement with the neon green. There's no dout that they made a statement, but that's a whole other story.

9 comments:

Jane Huddleston said...

Ha! I love you. Definitely go buy a sewing machine. You don't need anything fancy to start... The one my grandma bought me was only $100 or so. I have the Singer Featherweight II and it works just fine for me.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you create!

Kyle, Megan, Owen, Tatum and Grady Guest said...

Lar I can't tell you how hard I laughed at the little note at the bottom. I know exactly what pair of pants you are talking to and in fact I was showing Kyle old pictures the other day and there was one of YW B-ball and it had you in those pants!! Sure love you girl and you look so good!

Jessica F. said...

I have a Singer as well and I love it. I am pretty sure it was around $100. I think basic is better. Some sewing machines are so complex.

How exciting that you sold some more pieces... go Laura!

Will you PLEASE post a picture of those pants!

Nathan said...

I have an ultra ghetto "white" brand sewing machine. But it works fine for what I use it for. My parents bought it for me for Christmas when I was in high school. I remember thinking "what???" but now I'm glad to have it.

Nathan said...

Laura, don't be creeped out. That last comment was AnneMarie, I'm under my husband's account. But I had to laugh thinking of him getting a sewing machine for Christmas!

Karen said...

I have a Bernina and really like it. It is about 25 years old and is still made of metal, so it's heavy, however, it works really well. It isn't too fancy. It does have some extra stitches I can do, but for the most part, it's pretty basic. I don't think you need anything super fancy, unless those are the kind of projects you are going to do.

HolliJo said...

Oh how fun! I personally do not have a sewing machine, however I am exactly like you, waiting for Christmas to make the big purchase.... I think I'm going to go with Bernina because I want to do some big quilts and such. But I think it really depends on what you're looking for :) If you just want to do fairly basic sewing, my friend just got a Singer from Wal-Mart and loves it. Hope this helps and I can't wait to see all your fun crafts :)!

Hema and Becky said...

Mine is from Sears. It is a Kenmore and was just over a hundred dollars. If I ever get so great at sewing that I need an upgrade, I'll buy a new one and it will be worth it then. For now, mine is perfect!

Meghan said...

I have a White Jeans Machine and LOVE it! I like the basic ones - if they get too fancy, I think they are prone to more problems (unless you are know what you're doing with a fancy machine). If you're doing simple stuff (aka, learning to sew) I would recommend getting one that is simple and works well with jeans. It is so worth it to have the sturdiness!!! I know White and Singer are good brands. Good luck! Make sure to post what you get :)